Wednesday 29 October 2014

My Top 13 Horror Films...Perfect for Halloween

Good evening everyone,

Did you know there are only two sleeps til Halloween? Yippee! I'm so excited as it's a great opportunity to watch all my favourite horror and gore movies once the kids are tucked up in bed. I've always loved horror movies since I was a teen - My earliest memory of horror films is having the double feature VHS tape of Candyman and Fright Night to watch on my bulky box TV in my bedroom as a teenager!


And, here are my top 13 horror films (in no particular order)

1) Nightmare on Elm Street (Original)
I remember catching the Nightmare on Elm Street TV series late one night on a random TV channel, and almost fell in love with the blade-fingered Freddy Krueger. His maniacal laugh, the way he screeched his sharp blades against the metal boilers, and of course, his iconic red and green striped jumper.
An amazingly terrifying film!

2) Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
This has everything I love all neatly together in one beautifully visual movie: blood, gore, catchy tunes, and both the amazing Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp.

3) The Human Centipede: First Sequence
Yes, a bit gag inducing, but I adore the new concept of this torture by a retired German doctor fascinated by the thought of joining various creatures together!

4) The Exorcist
Simply an amazing 40 year old horror classic! A must see for everyone, and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells music just eerily resonates and is a wonderful reminder of the film's story.

5) Cube
This is one I randomly discovered in a video rental store when I was a teenager, and found it utterly surreal yet intriguing. Six strangers find themselves trapped in a surreal prison of interlocking cubical chambers, some armed with lethal booby traps.

6) Battle Royale
Dare I say this is a truly violent version of The Hunger Games series? This film is not for the faint of heart: blood, gore and horror between teenage-aged students all fighting (and killing!) each other to become the sole survivor of the Government's secretive annual Battle Royale.

7) Saw
Again, another amazing gory horror (I do love my blood, guts and gore films!). Oddly, I'm almost on the side of "Jigsaw" as he explains his reasonings behind his "games", as he quotes "Most people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you, not any more..." And the twist ending - genius!

8) Hostel
Oh my, another gory film! Such creative ways to torture: the blow-torch on the eyeball, the sliced Achilles tendon.....eye-wateringly gripping.

9)  [REC]
This is the 2007 Spanish original of the US remake Quarantine in 2008. It is truly horrifying, as it's filmed in a way where you feel stuck in the apartment building with the others, and experiencing what they are experiencing.

10) 28 Days Later
A poignant horror film based in the city of London where "Rage" a highly contagious virus has accidentally been released from a medical research laboratory.

11) Idle Hands
This is a fun horror comedy starring the wonderfully 90's Seth Green and Devon Sawa, and even Jessica Alba! It's hilarious and creepy all at the same time.

12) Final Destination
An amazing film led by the idea that "you can't cheat death". The suspense, the jump scares and the ultimate death scenes are amazingly vivid! Spoiler alert: loved the speeding bus death and the teacher's kitchen death scene.

13) Evil Dead (Original)
A cult classic starring Bruce Campbell, forever known as Ash thanks to this amazing 1980's movie. It is a bizarre film where the special effects border on crazy, and is very well known as a "video nasty". But it's simply brilliant (and don't get me started on the 2013 remake).


I'd love to know your favourite horror movies? Tell me in the comments below!


Ciao
xVx

No comments:

Post a Comment