Saturday, 6 April 2013

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

After the tragic events last week where a mother and daughter died in Cumbria due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a faulty generator, I feel the need to spread awareness to keep fellow families safe.

News Story (BBC)

Another news story (This is Cornwall)

Last year I was lucky enough to win a Carbon Monoxide alarm from FireAngel, so I've approached them to get the best information and advice for this blog post.

FireAngel

Because carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas it cannot be detected using the human senses and with symptoms similar to flu, it can quickly become fatal. Exposure to even low levels over a short time can have devastating consequences.

Around 50 people die in the UK each year as a result of CO poisoning and 4.000 people attend A&E with symptoms, but it is estimated that one third of a million people potentially suffer from exposure to this poisonous gas in their homes every year.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include
* Dizziness
* Headaches
* Fatigue
* Nausea
* Confusion

There is still a worrying lack of knowledge and understanding on carbon monoxide and its potentially fatal consequences, so the more we can do to raise people’s awareness, the more lives can potentially be saved.

Here's five steps to improve your safety:
* Fit an audible alarm
* Have your appliances checked regularly
* Don't block ventilation
* Know the signs around your appliances
* Learn to recognise the symptoms

It is also wise to ensure a fully working smoke alarm AND CO alarm are installed into your home. A great opportunity is when preparing the home and a nursery for a babies imminent arrival.

The CO Angels

The CO Angels, are raising awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning after each losing someone special to this silent killer. 

(Taken from their website)
We are the CO Angels - three women striving to make a difference in the world of carbon monoxide poisoning after each losing someone special to this silent killer.

Although we’ve raised awareness individually, we found joining forces to raise awareness has given us support and strength and launched in November 2010 in the Houses of Parliament at an All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group meeting. 

One of the hardest things for us is knowing that an audible carbon monoxide alarm could have saved the lives of our loved ones, meaning they would still be here today.

***

Together, let's stay safe!

Gas Safety Week 2013 will take place from 16th – 22nd September 2013, and I will be doing more blogs to spread awareness then.

Thank you to the team at FireAngel who helped with information for this blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment