Sunday 1 December 2013

Shrek the Musical DVD REVIEW

My love of the theatre and musicals began at the age of 12 when I was taken to London's West End to see the amazing Phantom of the Opera. Sadly, with two young children, visits to the theatre are now rare, so it's fantastic that many musicals are now available on DVD, Blu-Ray, and digital download. I can still enjoy my love of theatre productions, and share age appropriate shows with Tristan and Scarlett! 


I was so pleased to receive the Shrek the Musical DVD to review. Tristan adores the original animated Shrek film series, and I knew he would love the musical version.

Tristan with his new DVD 
Excuse the swimming goggles - he's just come home from his swimming lesson! 

It is based on the story and characters from William Steig's book "Shrek", as well as the well-known Dreamworks animation film, but it contains new songs, and a few snippets from other musicals. When you watch it, see if you can spot the homages to The Lion King and Wicked theatre productions, wink wink.


Tristan was fascinated by the Welcome to Duloc scene, and found Lord Farquaad really funny on stage (the actor kneels down to be the short Lord Farquaad).

Scarlett was giggling away at the burping competition between Shrek and Princess Fiona! 


Just like in the original film, I always smirk at the lyrics in the Welcome to Duloc song: "Please keep off the grass. Shine your shoes. Wipe your......face". One of several laughs aimed at just us adults!

"The best musical for younger audiences since The Lion King!"
Time Out NY

This is a great family film, and would make a lovely Christmas gift, or even a stocking filler!

The digital download has been available since 18th November, and both the DVD and Blu-Ray editions are available from 2nd December.

* I was not paid for this article. I was asked for my genuine personal opinion on their products to be published on my blog. As a thank you, I was allowed to keep the products*
* If you would like me to review your product or service, please email me on jellyroseyate@gmail.com to discuss*

No comments:

Post a Comment