Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Carbon Monoxide Awareness: Summer 2013

With much of the UK starting their summer holidays, the lovely people at FireAngel have asked me to upload a blog post reminding you all of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide cannot be seen, smelt, nor tasted making it a silent killer.

Please have an enjoyable and safe summer by following the Gas Safe Register and APPCOG’s advice:

1) Never use a smouldering or lit barbeque (charcoal or gas), gas stove, light or heater in a tent, caravan, room or cabin, or under an awning unless it is a permanent fixture that has been installed and maintained correctly. Even if you have finished cooking, your barbeque will still give off fumes for some hours after use.

2) Remember the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and don’t confuse it with food poisoning or another holiday related illness – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. If concerned, seek medical advice.

3) If using a gas appliance, check that it is in good order, undamaged and, where present, that hoses are properly attached and undamaged. If in doubt contact the owner to get the hoses replaced or do not use it. If you are unable to contact the responsible person and have to change the cylinder yourself, make sure the gas taps or cylinder valve are turned off before changing the gas cylinder and only do this in the open air. Do not over-tighten joints.

4) If you are staying in rented accommodation where there are gas appliances, check there is a current gas safety check record displayed. If you cannot see one, ask the owner if the gas appliances in your accommodation have been safety checked and serviced within the last 12 months. In the UK, the owner must do this by law.

5) Recognise the signs of dodgy gas appliances. Black marks or stains around the appliance, yellow lazy flames instead of crisp blue flames, and too much condensation are all signs gas appliances aren’t working properly. 

More information from the Gas Safety Register here

Shockingly, 40 people have been killed or injured by Carbon Monoxide poisoning while staying in a tent, caravan, holiday cottage or boat in Britain in the past two years. 

Roland Wessling is only too aware that not knowing the dangers of CO poisoning can result in tragedy. Roland lost his partner, Hazel Woodhams, 30, in 2011 when she was overcome by CO fumes. The couple brought their barbeque, which was cold and no longer smoking, inside their tent without realising it was emitting deadly carbon monoxide.

Roland's story can be found here at BBC News,

Please stay safe, and share this information!
Thank you xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment